Jonathan Datz founded The Datz Law Firm, PC, in May 2013. The firm was originally known as Datz & Fee, LLC, as Jonathan partnered with Jon R. Fee, one of his friends and colleagues from the Broomfield/Adams District Attorney’s Office. Mr. Datz remains committed to the firm’s founding principle – To provide professional, ethical, and compassionate services to community members dealing with life’s most difficult legal challenges.
Mr. Datz has nearly two decades of courtroom and trial experience.
Mr. Datz has earned a deep, yet understated, reputation for providing expert legal advice and ethical representation. He is solution and client-focused, not profit or publicity-driven. Mr. Datz is committed to a “neighborhood” law firm approach, where new clients often are introduced by former clients or professional colleagues rather than advertisement.
Mr. Datz began his legal career in August 2001 as an Assistant State Attorney with the State Attorney’s Office in Miami-Dade, Florida. In late 2006, Mr. Datz was hired as a Deputy District Attorney at the Broomfield/Adams Counties. In 2011, Mr. Datz was assigned to Senior Deputy District Attorney and served in the Child Victim Unit, a prosecutorial unit that exclusively handles serious felony crimes against children, including sexual abuse, physical abuse, and sexual exploitation. Mr. Datz has nearly two decades of courtroom and trial experience.
Upon founding The Datz Law Firm, PC, Mr. Datz renewed his professional commitment to community service. Mr. Datz served on the Board of Directors for the Broomfield-based-nonprofit Bal Swan Children’s Center from 2013-2019. Mr. Datz served two terms as Board President. Mr. Datz served on the Board of Directors for the Colorado-statewide nonprofit Rocky Mountain Victim Law Center from 2017-2019. Mr. Datz has served on the Board of Directors for the Los-Angeles-based nonprofit CBD College since 2016.
On December 31st, 2019, Colorado Governor Jared Polis appointed Mr. Datz to the 17th Judicial District (Broomfield/Adams) Nominating Commission for a term of Six Years. This non-partisan appointment entrusts Mr. Datz and six fellow attorney and non-attorney community members to nominate new judges when vacancies occur.
- Colorado, 2006
- Florida, 2001
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 2013
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- J.D. – 2001
- Honors: Victor A. Jaczun Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy
- Political and Civil Rights Law Journal
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- B.A. – 1998
- Major: Political Science
- Student Manager: Football Team, 1996-1998; Associated Press National Champion Team Member, 1998
Associations and Memberships
- Seventieth Judicial District Nominating Commission, Commissioner, 2019-present
- American Bar Association, Member, 2022-Present
- Board of Directors, Bal Swan Children’s Center, Broomfield, CO, 2013-2019 (Board President, Two Terms)
- Board of Directors, Rocky Mountain Victim Law Center, 2017-2019
- Board of Directors, CBD College, 2016-present
- Colorado Fraternal Order of Police Legal Defense Fund Plan Attorney, 2013-present
- District Attorney, 17th Judicial District of CO, Senior Deputy District Attorney, 2007 – 2013
- State Attorney, 11th Judicial District of FL, Assistant State Attorney, 2001 – 2004
- United States Army Judge Advocate General – Legal Clerk – Summer 2000