Over the week-long DUI crackdown conducted for St. Patrick’s Day this year in Colorado, law enforcement authorities reportedly arrested 444 motorists for alleged drunk driving. This is according to the latest data from officials at the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT), who have also reported that the 2016 St. Patrick’s Day DUI crackdown in Colorado:
- Resulted in fewer DUI arrests than last year’s enforcement over the same period – In fact, authorities reportedly made 505 DUI arrests over the 2015 St. Patrick’s Day enforcement effort. This represents an approximately 12 percent drop in the DUI arrests made over the same period last year.
- Saw the most arrests in Denver, Aurora and Colorado Springs – More than 27 percent of the DUI arrests made over this crackdown came from one of the police departments in these localities.
Commenting on the outcome of this year’s St. Patrick’s Day crackdown, Darrell Lingk, CDOT’s Director of Transportation Safety, has stated:
For some, alcohol consumption is a St. Patrick’s Day tradition, but unfortunately many drivers risked their safety – and the safety of others – and got behind the wheel while impaired during the holiday week…We hope finding a safe and sober ride home becomes a standing tradition in the future for these drivers.
Col. Scott Hernandez, Chief of the Colorado State Patrol (CSP), also issued a statement in regards to the outcome of this year’s DUI campaign for St. Patrick’s Day, noting that:
Many drivers are unaware that they can still be arrested on suspicion of DUI with a BAC level below the .08 limit…If a driver shows signs of impairment and fails a roadside sobriety test, we proceed with the arrest.
Upcoming DUI Crackdowns in Colorado
While St. Patrick’s Day is behind us for 2016, law enforcement officials in Colorado are preparing for the next rounds of DUI crackdowns, including both holiday-related enforcement plans that are part of the Heat Is On campaign, as well as other enforcement plans funded by CDOT’s LEAF program.
Specifically, over the next few months, the current plans involve running heightened DUI enforcement campaigns throughout the state over:
- The Spring Enforcement Event (from Saturday, April 9th through Saturday, May 15th) – This is historically one of the highest DUI arrests periods over the entire year.
- Memorial Day (from Friday, May 27th through Tuesday, May 31st)
- LEAF June campaign (from Wednesday, Jun 1st through Thursday, June 30th).
So, if you will be enjoying alcohol away from home over the coming months, plan ahead to avoid a DUI arrest. A little bit of planning can be crucial to safe travels and a bright future.
Contact a Broomfield DUI Attorney at The Datz Law Firm
If you have been arrested for or charged with a DUI in Colorado, a Broomfield DUI lawyer at The Datz Law Firm is ready to provide you with superior defense representation. At The Datz Law Firm, we know how stressful and consuming serious legal problems can be. That’s why we’re here to help you resolve your legal issues and get through these challenging times so you can move on with your life.
To schedule an initial consultation with us and find out more about your best DUI defense options, call us at (720) 256-2404, or email us using the contact form at the top of this page.
Although our office hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., we make ourselves available anytime of the day or night to talk about your important legal matters – or simply to discuss your worries and concerns. The bottom line is that we are flexible, available, and responsive.